Monday, January 30, 2012

Beatnik & Updates!

Wow.  You don't realize how much and how often you use the internet until you are cut off.  Cold turkey.  The last blog post took about three hours to upload using a random connection at a nearby cafe within a mall.  Finally, internet has been installed and I can now blog regularly again.  ((phew!!))

January was a busy crafting month for me, and I was really pleased with the completed Beatnik, a free sweater design by Norah Gaughan from Knitty Deep Fall 2010.  I made some modifications to the pattern, but the essence of the design is still there.  I love how it turned out and it fits really well... plus it's incredibly warm which is what I need these days.  Can you believe it actually snowed here in Amsterdam.  Everyone's been telling me since I moved here that it doesn't snow, etc. etc.  Well, guess what, it did.

So, here's what's keeping me warm...

"Beatniks to Murgatroyd"
My modifications to the pattern were as follows:

  • knit in the round instead of flat
  • 25 st side cable patterns changed to stag-horn cable w/ twisted st center (much easier to follow)
  • added 1” even at hips
  • knit full length sleeves (each was approx. 50g yarn in Lana Grossa Alta Moda Alpaca)
  • added 4 extra rows near the top of sleeve cap for better ease, used one size larger for sleeve shaping
Yarn was purchased at Wolladiho; a local yarn shop in Munich that I will miss since it was right across the street from me.

Quilting progress: I made 80 squares for the top of our quilt.  Yay!  Next is sashing them together.

Sewing progress: I can now proceed with trousers, finishing UFOs, and some quick sewing projects!

Blogging full speed ahead!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your version. It's a great colour too...looks amazing on you.

AA said...

Cute! :) Happy to read you are settling down! Do you have a bike already?!