Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Seamless's Challenge for 2012


I recently came across this challenge from Seamless blog.  Elena Cresci's challenge is to "abstain from buying any new clothes" until she finishes her degree in 8 months.  As for me, I'm taking the pledge until the end of 2012.  I was already on my way to not buying new clothes anyway. This year, I knitted several jumpers, hats, vests,  scarves, etc. Then, I sewed several new skirts, PJ pants, and a few new dresses. Now with my recently acquired patterns for trousers (Clover from Colette), I'm on my way to following the "Seamless Pledge" in 2012!

My sewing resolutions (more like goals) include:
  • making a pair of trousers that fit... both my waist and hips without any giant gaps at the waist or funny crotch/inseam issues, in fabric I'll actually wear
  • make a jacket w/lining or a coat w/lining (again in fabric that I'll wear)
  • make a quilt for the bed
  • drape a garment, creating it from scratch (patternless!)

The Rules for the Seamless Pledge

  1. No buying new clothes for the duration of your pledge. By new, I mean any new mass-manufactured clothes.
  2. You can buy second-hand manufactured clothes – so be prepared to get to know your local charity shops awfully well.
  3. Vintage clothing is a-ok!
  4. Anything you’ve made by hand is definitely allowed. Get your sewing machines and your kntting needles out, because handmade is definitely in!
  5. Get involved! Join in on the Flickr group and like our Facebook page. I’ll be looking to feature pledgers on the blog in the future. I’d love to see your second-hand finds, refashions and hand-made creations!

Sounds like a cool challenge, right?

2 comments:

cassandra said...

I think I'm up for the challenge, however, is it ok to buy manufactured undergarments? I don't really feel comfortable buying them second hand, and don't have the skills to make undies and tights yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

adriprints said...

We were discussing this on "the Sew Weekly" and also on Elena Cresci's site... I think we can overlook the purchase of undergarments.