Needles: I used 5.0mm dpns to knit this hat, but it all depends on your own needle and gauge.
Instructions for 22" to 25" crown:
- CO 76 sts using cable cast-on method for elasticity. Divide evenly among 4 dpns.
- Work 1 round in K2,P2 rib and place a stitch marker at the beginning of the round, and then after every group of 12 sts.
- Continue knitting in K2,P2 rib until the piece measures 5.5" (or 3" before desired length) and begin decreases.
- Decrease 1 stitch after each stitch marker (including the end of rnd), then work one round plain. Repeat this three times total.
- Final Decrease rounds... continue decreasing 1 st after each stitch marker (without a plain round in between decrease rounds) until only 10 to 12 sts remain (depending on original cast-on) and then sew through the remaining stitches, pull tight, and weave in all ends.
There you go! I hope you have a wonderful afternoon and beanie, too.